Caramelized Banana Cupcakes with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
I really enjoy caramelized bananas with rum, served with vanilla ice cream, so I couldn’t resist to the thought of a cupcake made with them. This recipe is now one of my favorites. It doesn’t quite taste like banana bread, it does have the taste of caramelized bananas. The recipe calls for a cream cheese frosting to go with them, but I prefer a cinnamon whipped cream with a little rum. It seems like a lot of ingredients and like it’s a lot do to, but they don’t take much longer to prepare than regular cupcakes, so give them a try! When using whipped cream as frosting, it is best if you will frost only the cupcakes that will be eaten on that day.
Caramelized Banana Cupcakes
with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
Makes about 18 cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma
For the Bananas:
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 ripe, but still firm bananas quartered (halved crosswise, then lengthwise)
2 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cook until butter melts and sugar is dissolved (4 to 5 minutes)
- Add the banana slices and cook until tender, turning once for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Stir together rum and vanilla. Turn off the burner and add the rum mixture to the pan.
- Using a long match, light the alcohol by placing the flame just in the outer edge of the pan. Stand as far back as possible. The flame should extinguish in a few seconds.
- Gently shake the pan from side to side to coat the bananas with the sauce.
- Spoon the bananas into a bowl and set aside.
For the Cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon dark rum
Banana mixture already prepared
3/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, rum and banana. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the cream; blend thoroughly but do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 1- minutes in pan on rack. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
1 1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar (add more if you like a sweeter cream)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon rum
- Whip your cream together with the sugar until it gets thick
- Add the rum and cinnamon
- Place cream in piping bag to decorate your cupcakes.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.