Green Tea Cupcakes and Green Tea Cream Cheese Frosting
I’ve been looking around several sites for Green Tea Cupcakes recipes to try, and this one caught my attention. I’ve heard about them before and it was something that got me interested. I love tea. Teavana is my favorite store, and since I discovered they had a store in Crossgates Mall, I must go at least a few times on my trip to Upstate NY. Usually I buy loose tea to mix and match to my taste, but when I read about the Green Tea cupcakes I knew I had to get the best Matcha I could find! This is a very strong flavored powder, so I would recommend that if you don’t like the strong flavor of green tea, you can halve the amount that the batter calls for. For the Cream Cheese Frosting, the tea flavor is very soft, you’ll notice that when mixing the Matcha into the frosting. If you want a more tea tasting frosting, add increments of ½ teaspoon. A little goes a long way!
Green Tea Cupcakes
Recipe By: Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cupcakes
Yield: 24 medium size cupcakes
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Teavana Matcha (Green Tea Powder)
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Whisk the Matcha with the milk and vanilla, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla.
- With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from the tins and cool on a wire rack before icing.
Green Tea Cream Cheese Frosting
Based on this Foodies’ Original Recipe
Yield: Enough to heavily frost 24 cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
16 oz. cream cheese
6 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons Teavana Matcha (Green Tea Powder)
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until well combined.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and mix.
- Add the matcha green tea powder and mix until well combined.
- Add vanilla and mix. Spread onto cooled cupcakes or cake.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.