Irish Coffee Cupcakes
The Foodies’ Kitchen also bakes for Saint Patrick’s Day! We’ve been searching for a good dessert recipe, and I found this one by Martha. Not all the time Martha Recipes go good, but personally I’ve done several and every single them goes well (except the recipe we tried for Mother’s day last year, you can read the story here). So, here I share with you this recipe, that just after I took the final pictures, Jake said that I should definitely make another batch to see if I could pull it off again :)
As with every cupcake recipe, make sure you fill out the cupcake tins up to 3/4. This particular recipe calls for both Baking Soda and Baking Powder, so make sure not to over fill them or it will be a mess. I’ve never done whipping cream frosting before, but I have to say that it is extremely easy. Have patience! If you haven’t done it before like me… have patience. It takes a bit to get the whipping cream to the right consistency. It gets there, don’t worry. Just let the mixer do it’s thing. Enjoy!
Irish Coffee Cupcakes
Recipe from Martha Stewart
Yield: 15 medium sized cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons instant-espresso powder
1/4 cup whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
For the Frosting:
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon whiskey
Instant-espresso powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350º degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour water over espresso powder; let cool. Combine espresso with milk.
- Beat butter and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with espresso-milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour (batter may look broken).
- Fill 15 cups (of two 12-cup muffin tins) three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let cool; turn out cupcakes from tins.
- For the frosting, whisk together cream and confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form.
- Add whiskey; whisk until slightly stiff peaks form.
- Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons frosting; dust with espresso powder.
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.