Vanilla Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting
While this is not the first time we’ve done Nutella and Cupcakes, this is the first time we’ve used Nutella with Buttercream Frosting. The original recipe calls for 1 pound of confectioner’s sugar… but I have to say it was a bit too much for me. So, after sifting it, I was adding it by the spoonful and I ended up adding just a little bit over 2 cups of sugar. This recipe also calls for heavy cream instead of milk. It gives the buttercream a much better body to it. Will definitely stick to that on my next Buttercream Frosting recipe.
Recipe By: Williams-Sonoma
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 whole egg plus 1 egg white, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
- Preheat an oven to 350°F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the egg and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions, beating until just combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat just until no traces of flour remain, about 30 seconds; do not over-beat.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake until the cupcakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cupcakes to the rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream.
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
Recipe By: My Baking Addiction
Yield: Enough to heavily frost 12 cupcakes
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
½ jar Nutella, 13-ounce
pinch of salt
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and Nutella until well combined.
- Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Blend on low speed until moistened.
- Add an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- The frosted cupcakes can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- It was a bit too warm inside the kitchen, so the Buttercream was starting to run a bit on me. By placing both the bowl and the piping bag in the fridge for a few minutes, it gave me the perfect consistency of the Buttercream back.
- You can easily adjust the consistency of this recipe by simply adding in more heavy cream or more confectioners’ sugar.
- Covered and refrigerated frosting can be stored for up to three days. Simply bring it to room temperature and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. You may need to add a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream or milk to revive the consistency.
- You can garnish the cupcakes with Chocolate or Chocolate covered coffee grains.
© 2011 – 2014, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.