I particularly enjoy chicken when it is prepared with fruits, or coconut milk. I like the combination of savory and sweet. This recipe is quite easy and quick to make, but don’t forget to add the lemon zest at the end! It gives it a very fresh taste. I recently made this for one of our Foodies’ meetings; Kitty, Mariano and I enjoyed it with a nice cold glass of beer. We hope you enjoy it too.
Caribbean Chicken with Coconut Milk
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
4 chicken breast fillets, cut into cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon oil
Zest from one small lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 small piece of fresh ginger
1 can of coconut milk
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped cilantro stems
½ cup chicken stock
Pinch of nutmeg
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Lemon zest to add on top of finished dish
- In a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken cubes with the tablespoon of oil for a few minutes, then add the garlic, the lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger, and pepper.
- Let that cook for about 2 min.
- Add the can of coconut milk, the cilantro stems, chicken stock and nutmeg.
- Lower heat, and let it simmer for 10 min.
- At the very end, add the pepper flakes.
- Serve over a bed of white rice and top with the additional lemon zest and cilantro leaves for garnish.
© 2010 – 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.