We all have days when we have nothing in the fridge or our cabinets because we haven’t gone to the supermarket, but we still have to make lunch. In my case for my husband and baby (I don’t have to make special baby meals for her anymore, she has whatever we’re having for lunch). I had chicken, some couscous, spices and lemons, and 1 hour to think of a way to make a decent meal. Thank god for my grill.
Lemon Chicken with Couscous is actually a very healthy lunch, low on fat but not on flavor. I particularly like it better with couscous than with rice.
Couscous are small round granules of semolina wheat The dish is a traditional staple throughout the Maghreb, where it is thought to have originated. It is also popular in the West African Sahel, in France, Spain, Madeira, in western Sicily’s Province of Trapani, as well as in Turkey, Greece, Cyprus and parts of the Middle East.
Lemon Chicken with Couscous
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
1 cup couscous
1 cup water ( or broth, if you have it)
1 chicken bullion cube (I used this because I didn’t have any broth)
4 tbs vinegar
2 tbs olive oil
pinch of dried powdered oregano
pinch of dried powdered thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken fillets
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- Boil 1 cup of water or broth in a small pot, add the chicken bullion cube. As soon as it is boiling remove from the heat.
- Add 1 cup of couscous. Cover the pot and leave it for about 7 min. Fluff it with a fork.
- Add vinegar to a small bowl and incorporate the oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking it together.
- Add the oregano, thyme, salt and pepper and mix this with couscous.
- Salt and pepper your chicken fillets, add the lemon juice and zest and grill them following your grill’s instructions. Mine takes 5-8 min
- Serve the chicken fillets over a bed of couscous.
Note: If you don’t have a grill at home, you can make this in any heavy skillet.
© 2010 – 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.