This is a Foodies’ Kitchen original recipe. I used to make these a lot on hot summer nights when I lived with my mom; it’s a great sandwich for when you’re in the mood for something fresh and healthy. At the time of its invention we named it the Sushi Sandwich because it has a lot of the ingredients that you would use to make a sushi roll, and the name stuck.
It can be a little sloppy to eat if you don’t layer the ingredients in the right order. Cut the pita bread in half with a serrated knife and it’ll be ok. I hope you like it.
Yields: 1 Sandwich
Serves: 2, or a very hungry 1
1 pita bread
4 lettuce leaves, hand torn
1 tomato, thinly sliced
6 cucumber slices
4 strips of imitation crab meat, thinly sliced
½ avocado, thinly sliced
1 tsp sesame seeds
The following ingredients will be added in the amount of your own liking:
Pickled ginger or fresh grated ginger
Salt and pepper
Wasabi paste, a dollop
Soy Sauce, a splash (optional)
- Open your pita bread with a sharp serrated knife to get a clean cut.
- Make a lettuce bed on the bottom part of your sliced pita bread, and then add the tomatoes covering the entire surface, then the cucumber slices, imitation crab meat, avocado and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle a pinch of onion powder and place several pieces of thinly sliced pickled ginger at the very top and splash a little bit of soy sauce (optional).
- In a very small bowl, mix mayonnaise with a dollop of wasabi paste. Spread this mixture on the top half of your pita bread.
- You won’t see the pickled ginger in my pictures, because I didn’t have any around at the time, so I used fresh finely grated ginger.
© 2010 – 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.