This is a great recipe for a special dinner, or lunch. It can easily be doubled or tripled if you are serving more people.
Chicken breasts stuffed with Mozzarella, Mushrooms and Spinach
A recipe from The Foodies’ Kitchen
Yields: 2 chicken breasts
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 bag of spinach leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup red onion, chopped
A pinch of nutmeg
1 Portobello mushroom, sliced.
¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, enough to sprinkle on the chicken breast
½ cup chopped shallots
1 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
To make the filling and assemble the rolls:
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add the garlic cloves, red onion and spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, add a pinch of nutmeg. Nutmeg can overpower and ruin a dish, so use only a pinch! You can always add more if you want.Once the spinach has cooked, set it aside.
- Open up the chicken breast, and use a meat pounder (or wooden rolling pin) to thin it out.
- In the middle of the opened chicken breast, place the spinach, two slices of portabella mushroom, sprinkle the cheese, drizzle a little bit of olive oil, sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll the chicken breast and secure it with a toothpick.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, brown the chicken rolls on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the rolls from the pan and set aside.
For the sauce:
- In the same pan you used to brown the chicken rolls, add a bit more oil, about 1 tablespoon, then add the chopped shallots, let them cook for about 3 min. Add the wine and let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes, scrape the pan to get all the flavor, then add the cream, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste. Let the sauce cook for about 8 minutes, uncovered.
- Cut the chicken breasts into slices and assemble on a plate, drizzle sauce over them.
Serve with asparagus, and mashed potatoes.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.