Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Beet and Orange Salad
A Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
4 beets, cooked
¼ red onion, thinly sliced (If you prefer more onion in your salad, go ahead and slice some more)
Sesame seeds (optional)
½ cup orange juice
1/8 cup vegetable oil
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the cooked beets, and set them aside.
- Peel the oranges, and segment them. To do this, Hold the orange firmly in your hand over a bowl, and gently slide your knife between the membrane walls toward the center of the fruit to release the segments. Loosen each segment, remove it from the fruit and set it aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the beets, orange, and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, add orange and lemon juice. In a slow and steady stream, add the oil while whisking. This will ensure that the oil and acids are emulsified correctly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the vinaigrette to the prepared beets, and adjust the seasoning. I added sesame seeds to sprinkle at the end, just before serving.
- Refrigerate, and serve cold.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.