Something I’ve always wanted to try was Carrot Cupcakes made with both baby and regular carrots. Also, while grocery shopping, I remembered that I wanted to get some All Spice. We don’t get that in Guatemala, or if we get to find some it’s a bit pricey… I grabbed that. I browsed online for quite a while, and found this amazing recipe by Garrett McCord from Vanilla Garlic, featured on Simply Recipes. This has to be the best Carrot Cupcake recipe I’ve made. I made a few changes, since I had the baby carrots and instead of cardamom I used All Spice. Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Adapted from Simply Recipes
Makes 24 cupcakes
½ pound carrots
½ pound baby carrots
3 large eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon orange, zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¼ teaspoon all spice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line up paper liners on cupcakes.
- Rinse the carrots and peel the rough skins off, then grate the carrots.
- Place the carrots, buttermilk, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest together in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, all spice, and cinnamon.
- Fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture, being sure not to over mix.
- Scoop into cupcake papers about ¾ full and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes before taking them out of the cupcake tin and allowing them to fully cool on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until well combined. Sift in the powdered sugar and mix.
- Add vanilla and mix. Spread onto cooled cupcakes or cake
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.