It’s summer in the US, and one of my favorite things in the kitchen is baking. I wanted an Orange Cupcakes recipe that wouldn’t be as heavy as the usual recipes are. I found these Glazed Lemon & Orange Cupcakes recipe on MarthaStewart.com, and I’ve already made it a couple of times. I added a bit of Orange juice and zest to the original recipe. I think it gives it the last kick to the cupcakes to be perfect. I used a medium size tin and got 24 cupcakes each time. The Glazed Lemon Orange Cupcakes are also great to bring to a summer BBQ, you just have to wait about 45 minutes until the glaze is completely set so you can put them on top of each other without worrying about them being ruined while moving.
Glazed Lemon & Orange Cupcakes
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Makes 24 cupcakes
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemon, zest and juice
½ orange, zest and juice – reserving 2 tablespoons for the glaze
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, large
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease with shortening and flour two 12 medium size muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla, and the zest and juice of the orange and lemon. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar until light.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk mixture.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 way through.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in tin, then cool completely on a rack.
- Set rack over wax or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir confectioners’ sugar with remaining lemon juice until smooth. Pour over cakes, spreading to edges with a small knife. Let set 30 minutes.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.