I will never make french toast the way I did before! The melted butter and brown sugar give these a light crunch with the taste of caramelized sugar, they are not soggy and not too sweet. They go perfectly with strawberries, or any other berry you prefer.
Caramelized French Toast
Recipe from Bon Appétit
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
6 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
1 ½ cups whole milk
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 1-inch-thick slices white or whole wheat bread
Pure maple syrup
- Mix butter and brown sugar in small bowl to blend. Whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, and spices in large bowl to blend.
- Melt 2 tablespoons brown sugar-butter mixture in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip bread slices 1 at a time in egg mixture to coat.
- Add slices to hot skillet. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread remaining butter mixture over bread in skillets.
- Turn slices over. Cook until bottoms are deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide French toast among 4 plates. Sift powdered sugar over. Top with strawberries; drizzle with maple syrup.
© 2010 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.