I have to confess. This is not the first time I’ve made this Apple Chicken Skillet recipe. The first time, I prepared it but the apples came out too soggy and I didn’t have the all-spice at hand, so I replaced that with pink peppercorn, garlic and some other spices. It wasn’t as good and between this and that, turned out that on that day I served dinner about 30 minutes later than planned -we know, life gets in the way some days!- and the result was chicken with soggy apples. But, next time around (about 2 months later) I re-did the dish and with the all-spice at hand, it made it so much better!
Apple Chicken Skillet
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chicken breast, diced
1 Granny Smith apple (green apple), diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon all-spice*
¾ teaspoon dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste
- Take the cubed chicken and season it with the garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the apple with half of the all spice, sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of olive oil and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to a hot skillet, wait for it to get hot and add the chicken. Let it brown on the sides first, this seals in the flavor!
- Cook it for about 8 minutes, making sure to stir the chicken around. After the chicken is browned and cooked, add the apples and the remaining all spice. This will bring out the flavor in your dish.
- Keep on stirring and cook until the apple is starting to cook, but make sure not to overcook the apples. The best thing about this dish is to take a bite and feel the crunch of the apple. You can scoop out one apple bite with a spoon to test it as you go. Serve immediately.
- If you don’t have All-Spice handy, mix ½ teaspoon cinnamon plus ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves and ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
© 2010 – 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.