So, one monday afternoon I wanted to make something really nice for dinner. I thought: Chicken with a Mango sauce (and a little kick of Cayenne pepper). Sounds harmless, right? Wrong.
I added Cayenne Pepper, tasted: not enough kick. Added a bit more, saw the paprika and thought… why not? A “kick to it” is an understatement. This was a sauce meant for spicy food lovers. We are not big on really spicy foods. With a kick, yes. Spicy, no. What to do?! I panicked- of course, and after a minute or so, we went online (I was chatting with Helga) and found this bit of advice “add more of every ingredient except the peppers”. I had used my two mangoes! What else can it go with this? Then I saw it on the fridge: Kiwis! Still spicy. Needed salt- but that was not the issue… What else… Think Kitty, think! Aha! Apple Cider Vinegar and a bit of orange juice.
That did the trick. Saved dinner and got a Foodies’ Original recipe all at once!
Chicken with a Mango & Kiwi Sauce
A Foodies’ Original Recipe
Serves Three (or two very hungry guests)
2 ripe mangos, diced
2 ripe kiwis, diced
1 tablespoon of orange juice
2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon of Red peppercorns, ground
1/2 teaspoon of Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Garlic powder
1 teaspoon of Rosemary Leaves
- Dice the chicken breasts and mix with the ground red peppercorns, salt, garlic powder and rosemary leaves. Set aside.
- Cut the peeled kiwis to 1/2 inch slices and then on half. This will make it easier to remove the kiwi’s seeds with a spoon. I’ve made this recipe twice and the seeds add a bit of bitterness to it.
- Using a food processor or a blender, combine the mangos and kiwis. A few pulses should do.
- Add the fruit sauce to a hot pan on medium heat, and sprinkle the cayenne pepper and paprika on top. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the orange juice and apple cider vinegar. Reduce heat to low.
- Toss the chicken with a teaspoon of olive oil, and cook them over medium heat, letting them get brown on the sides.
- To serve, put some mango and kiwi sauce on the plate, place the chicken on top and garnish with parsley.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.