Saint Lorenzo Patron Saint of Cooks

August 10th is Saint Lorenzo’s day, the date has already passed but we thought we would share this with you. I didn’t know cooks had a patron Saint!

Saint Lorenzo, was one of seven deacons under Pope St. Sixtus and was condemned to death by the Prefect of Rome.  The story goes that as he was being grilled, he called out to those torturing him and said, ” Turn me over I’m done on this side!”. Then he prayed that the city of Rome might be converted to Jesus and that the Catholic Faith may spread all over the world.  And right before he died, he said, “It’s cooked enough now.”

Based on this story, it is said that Saint Lorenzo is the patron Saint of cooks.  He is also the patron Saint of cooking school located at the Mercato Centrale in Florence which is also called Mercato San Lorenzo, named for the church.  The beautiful Medici chapel is located on the backside of the San Lorenzo church with Michelanglo’s famous statues Dawn and Dusk/ Night and Day, created for the Medici tombs housed in the Chapel.

Helga

Mercato Centrale, Florencia

Mercato Centrale, Florencia

Mercato Centrale, Florencia

Medici Chapel, Florencia

A Cooks Prayer

Lord, guide my willing hands, to bake my bread today.
To mix a little laughter, in what I do or say.

Help me to feed my family with good food seasoned right.
With wisdom of a loving heart, keep my kitchen shining bright.

Guide my erring thoughts to Heaven, when my spirit is sad and low.
Help me to set my dinner table, with food for hearts that glow.

Picture credits: St. Lorenzo, Mercato Centrale, Florencia,
Mercato Centrale, Florencia (2)Mercato Centrale, Florencia (3), Medici Chapel, Florencia

© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.

41 Responses to "Saint Lorenzo Patron Saint of Cooks"

1. bob sabia

Friday March 11th, 2011 at 10:41 PM

trying to find a statue of st lorenzo exactly like the one displayed on this on this home page. any suggestions on where to locate one. thanks

2. Kitty

Sunday March 13th, 2011 at 05:27 PM

Hi Bob!

I made a quick search and found one at Italian Wood Carvings International http://bit.ly/hAWw6G They have different sizes and prices.

Hope it’s what you need!

Kitty

3. Kim Pollard

Tuesday August 2nd, 2011 at 07:58 AM

same qestion as bob, sad i just left Italy, but I don’t see any. but i would love to find at statue just like that, i click on the web sit you left and said produce not found. thanks kim

4. Kitty

Tuesday August 2nd, 2011 at 08:46 AM

Hello Kim and Bob!

I found another link for you, from DP Wood Carvings. This is a different take on the statue, as it’s not exactly as the one posted here. Also, I’d check out later at Italian Wood Carvings, as I think they are updating the catalog (no products show so far),

Hope this helps!

Kitty

5. Genie

Tuesday August 9th, 2011 at 09:07 PM

I am also looking for that St. Lorenzo. Please keep us posted!

6. Kitty

Friday August 12th, 2011 at 09:57 AM

Hello all! I found another version of the statue available, this one is made out of pewter and it’s a different one also from the one pictured. http://bit.ly/nUtZLd If you know of any other place that sells the statues, post the link here or send it to us through Twitter, FB or email. This is a requested statue between foodies!

Kitty

7. Maria

Monday August 22nd, 2011 at 02:29 PM

It is so difficult to find a St Lorenzo like the picture above. I have been looking for years. even before “Under the Tuscan Sun” was released. Someone should find a artist in Italy and import St Lorenzo status. The one is so appropriate he is holding the grille and the garlic cloves Surely there is enough business if there are many of us looking for St Lorenzo.

8. Rick

Monday August 29th, 2011 at 03:36 PM

I too have been searching for a very long time for that exact statue.

9. emy

Wednesday October 26th, 2011 at 07:32 PM

Why is it so hard to fine this statue

10. Kitty

Friday October 28th, 2011 at 08:39 AM

We’ve been searching for some other vendors, but it’s a difficult task.. Not impossible though, we keep on searching! This is the DP Woodcarvings link with another version of the Saint’s statue.

11. Kitty

Friday October 28th, 2011 at 09:09 AM

After another good search, we found several statues!

The one pictured on this post, you can get from Conrad Moroder, Send an email requestiing pricing information to info@moroder.com.

There’s a place called Church Supply Warehouse, that also carries Saint Lorenzo, but with a different design, also handcarved in Italty. They don’t display pricing, but you can contact them asking more information.

And finally, some statues by Albert Comploj at the Krippe shop. Make sure to search search for St. Lawrance (yes, it’s misspelled, but that’s how they labeld it!).

We hope you all get your Saint Lorenzo Statue!

12. gwen wehner

Monday November 28th, 2011 at 08:37 PM

i found one on ebay, just like the one in the movie

13. Maria

Wednesday February 22nd, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Kitty, Thanks for sending the Conrad Moroder Link! Centomille Grazie!

14. Eileen

Thursday April 26th, 2012 at 01:50 PM

I have found what you guys are all looking for. Go to the site Demi-Art or check them out on YOUTUBE. They have the statue of St. Lorenzo of Rome here. I just ordered one. they come in different finishes but I must warn you they are not cheap but they are the real deal. You will not be purchasing for $39.95 – these are real wood carvings. – Good luck & enjoy! It took me quite a bit of research to find these – ENJOY EVERYONE!!

15. Kitty

Thursday April 26th, 2012 at 02:45 PM

Hello gang!

Thought I’d add my two cents here, as Eileen says, Demi Art does have the statue! You can find it here: St. Lawrence of Rome at Demi-Art. Prices range between $90 and $2000 (more than we could afford). We definitely found another place to buy them!

Kitty

16. Eileen

Friday April 27th, 2012 at 06:59 AM

Kitty youu are correct – they will give you 10% if you get together with someone and ourchase more than one. I did buy one and should have it next week. e-Bay has them as well but starting at $150. I will keep looking for something cheaper for everyone – but if one could save their pennies this is the one in “Under The Tuscan Sun.

17. Superman

Wednesday September 19th, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Carl

Sunday October 14th, 2012 at 09:20 AM

Hi,

I am the owner of http://www.italianwoodcarvings.com

If you mention this posting, we will offer you a 8″ San Lorenzo (exact size as in the movie) for only USD 195, FREE 4-5 day delivery within lower 48! We can offer the 6″ Saint Lorenzo at USD150 FREE 4-5 day delivery within lower 48! However there are only a few left.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kind Regards,
    Italianwoodcarvings.com Team USA
    info@italianwoodcarvings.com
    PEMA & Demi Art Dealer USA

19. max

Tuesday October 30th, 2012 at 03:11 AM

Beautiful wood carving of St. Lawrence that realized by Demi-art! I bought myself last week and I put it in the kitchen of my restaurant!

20. Eileen

Tuesday October 30th, 2012 at 08:44 AM

Thank you for your comments re St. Lorenzo. Yes, I too ordered that statue from Demi Art. It is the best rendition of the Saint that I have come across. I figures it can’t help to have the patron saint of cooks in my kitchen

21. Kitty

Tuesday October 30th, 2012 at 08:59 PM

That’s great Max & Eileen! If you want to share a picture on Facebook or Google+ we’d love to see it!

~ Kitty

22. chef babes austria

Sunday December 2nd, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Hi, I am interested to have one also for my kitchen. Is it
    possible to order the statue as this will help and guide me
    spiritually to execute my cooking with love and passion. I live in the Philippines. Million thanks if you can help me to have St. Lorenzo statue .

23. chef babes austria

Sunday December 2nd, 2012 at 11:45 PM

need to have statue of St. Lorenzo

24. Kitty

Monday December 3rd, 2012 at 07:35 AM

Hi Chef Babes Austria!
    To get your statue, as we don’t sell them directly from here, go to Italian Wood Carvings – they have it in both 6″ and 8″ so you can get all the inspiration you need :)

Kitty

25. Patsy Kay Garcia

Friday February 22nd, 2013 at 03:48 PM

I just received my San Lorenzo carving in todays mail. I got it through “Italian Wood Carvings” like stated above. They range from 5.91″ ($142) to 31.5″ ($3,948) I payed through pay pal and it was delivered with in 5 working days of them receiving payment. I got the 7″ one for $212 +shipping total $226.Don’t wait if you want one. It was $150, 5 years ago when I first looked for it, I should have got it then. I suggest you not wait if you really want to get one.

26. Kitty

Friday February 22nd, 2013 at 03:52 PM

Thank you for your post back! And definitely,if you want it you get it – waiting will make the statues increase their pricing as with anything :)

27. Regina

Wednesday March 6th, 2013 at 08:42 PM

Funny, I thought I was silly that I wanted this saint for my kitchen after seeing the movie. I went to the catholic store and they didn’t know what I was talking about and I have been looking ever since. So, once again I take up the hunt and see this blog. I am getting the picture of Saint Lorenzo and copying the cooks prayer and will make a nice picture to frame to hang in my kitchen – much cheaper that the statue. I hope it works as well! Thanks.

28. Kitty

Wednesday March 6th, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Hi Regina! That is a great idea too! Can you share with us how it looks in your kitchen? We’d love to see!

Kitty & Helga

29. lefoxdufueutger

Monday March 11th, 2013 at 09:55 AM

Hello, i also was lookng for this statue and foud this link, they are cheaper than other shops: http://www.demi-art.com/en/prod-191-3840-st_lawrence_of_rome.asp

30. Kitty

Monday March 11th, 2013 at 09:58 AM

Great find! Thanks for sharing lefoxdufueutger!

~ Kitty

31. Maureen

Wednesday March 20th, 2013 at 02:16 PM

I have seen this very same statue in the movie UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN it was given to Diane Lane in the movie by the realtor man for a Christmas gift. I to have been looking for it with no luck at all. MOE

32. Kitty

Wednesday March 20th, 2013 at 02:55 PM

Hi Maureen! You can get it both from Italian Wood Carvings or Demi Art Artistic Woodcarvings Shop.

Let us know which one you end up getting!

33. Maria Gauniqio

Sunday July 14th, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Can I get a statue of St lawence delivered to Wynyard Tasmania?

34. Kitty

Monday July 15th, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Hi Maria!
    I’d ask at Demi Art Artistic Woodcarvings as they are based in Italy – Italian Wood Carvings are US-Based. From what I can see in their FAQ Page (scroll down to item 4) they ship worldwide :)

35. Cecelia

Friday September 13th, 2013 at 06:27 PM

Hi Guy’s, I happened to be looking for one myself so I went to Italianwoodcarvings.com. I did purchase the 6″ but I really would have liked the 8″. I paid $171.00 and when it arrived I was surprised on how light the box was? When I opened the box It was beautiful just like the pictures I saw and in the movie “Under the Tuscan Sun”, but it was resin not wood, I was a little disapointed because it was too light to even stand where I wanted it to be, I was afraid he would fall. So I put a little bit of mounting putty underneath and he looks fine. He stands now on top of my stove and He is beautiful. I know this message was from a while ago but when I saw the italian wood carvings I just had to reply…I hope you’re all happy and you have purchased one. If not??? I hope my reply heps you to make your decision.

36. Kitty

Saturday September 14th, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hello Cecelia! Thanks for your feedback! We are now, along with Demi-Art, offering wooden statues from San Lorenzo, as you can see on our ad on the right sidebar. Glad you still made it work so he stands looking down your stove.

Kitty

37. Marcia Bracken

Saturday October 19th, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Anyone recently purchased one from Demi-Art? Are they indeed wood? Not interested in resin.
    Thanks
    Marcia

38. Kitty

Saturday October 19th, 2013 at 08:29 PM

Hi Marcia!
    The sculptures by DemiArt are indeed wood. You can see some of their videos like this one on YouTube where they show the shop and some of the woodcrafters working on the statues. Hope this helps!

Kitty

39. Carl von Havighorst

Monday December 9th, 2013 at 11:49 AM

contact us at info@italianwoodcarvings.com and we will beat the manufacturer’s price. Shipping is much fast and cheaper than shipping from Italy. Also, manufacturer charges in Euro, so ….

40. Patty

Saturday August 9th, 2014 at 11:01 AM

St Lorenzo was from Rome, and has nothing to do with Lorenzo (the Magnificento) Medici in Florence. The Medici Chapel hold Lorenzo Medici (a banker and patron of the arts), not a deacon associated the Pope. Just sayin…

41. Helga

Tuesday August 12th, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hi Patty,
    Yes, you are right,thanks for your comment. We made the reference to the Medici Chapel as being near a cooking school in Florence of which St. Lorenzo is the patron of.