One of the things I brought back with me when I traveled back to Guatemala was fun Halloween stuff for the other foodie, including a pretty cute set of Halloween Stencils and cupcake liners. So, when preparing Halloween Week, we met to bake these cupcakes! The one thing we noticed with this recipe is that the sugar powder on it lasts for a couple of hours. We strongly recommend baking the cupcakes one day ahead (trust me, they taste better the second day around!) but sprinkle the confectioner’s sugar just before your Halloween Party. Enjoy!
Chocolate Stenciled Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
¾ cup butter
1 ⅔ cup sugar
3 eggs, separated whites and yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Wilton Halloween Stencils
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl mix butter, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Place the stencil on top of the cupcake and sift the sugar on top of it. Remove it carefully!
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.