Caramelized Plantain Pancakes (Panqueques de platano)
Caramelized Plantain Pancakes
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
For the plantains:
2 ripe plantains, sliced at an angle
3 tablespoons butter
½ cup orange juice
5 tablespoons brown sugar
For the Pancakes:
Yield: 6 Pancakes
1 cup flour
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Plantains:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat.
- Add the butter, let it melt and when it begins to bubble, add the sliced plantains. Lower the heat to medium, let the plantain slices cook for about 3 min. Turn them over using tongs.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top and as soon as it begins to melt, add the orange juice. Let the plantains cook for about 5 minutes more. Set aside.
For the Pancakes:
- In one bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Make a hole in the middle of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients until combined. Do not over mix the batter. It can have some lumps remaining.
- Set the batter aside to rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the frying pan over the medium-high heat and brush it with few drops of oil or butter (you can use paper towel f you decide to use oil).
- When the frying pan is hot, pour about ¼ cup of the batter onto the frying pan. Place 3 or 4 slices of the caramelized plantains on top. Then add a thin layer of pancake batter on top to “seal” the top of the pancake, this way the plantain pieces will be in the middle of the pancake.
- Cook pancakes on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip pancakes using the spatula and cook again for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and with desired topping.
© 2010 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.