This is our favorite way to eat eggplants, this baked vegetable dish is perfect for cold days. The mixture of herbs, tomato sauce and cheese together with the meaty texture of the eggplants is as comforting as comfort food can get! You can pair this with a salad, or with soup and is great for a casual and quick lunch or a satisfying dinner. Kids love it too.
Baked Eggplants and Zucchini
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Original recipe
Yields: Enough for about 4 servings
2 small eggplants, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 ½ cups Italian style tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon oregano
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover bottom of a medium sized Pyrex with olive oil.
- Arrange eggplant slices, pour some of the sauce over them (not a lot, just enough to thinly cover them), sprinkle with breadcrumbs, ¼ cup cheese, a bit of Parmesan, and oregano.
- Then arrange the zucchini and tomato slices and repeat the same topping, this time sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange another layer of eggplants, and repeat the topping. End with a thick layer of mozzarella and remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle breadcrumbs at the very top.
- Bake at 375º for 20 minutes
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.