Were the holidays a little too merry? If you want to watch what you eat a little bit in these coming weeks, we suggest you include this salad in your menu.
The chicken is grilled, with no fat. You have a hearty avocado to accompany it, which is good for you… Don’t go overboard with not wanting to eat avocado, come on! You have your greens and plenty of flavor from the mango dressing, which is also packed with vitamin C. You can make it at home, or get the bottled variety from the store, if you prefer. I have included the recipe below.
Chicken Salad with Mango Dressing
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Original
2 skinless chicken breasts
about 10 escarole leaves, washed
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon powdered onion
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Pour the juice of 1 lemon over them and sprinkle with the powdered onion. Let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat up your grill (or you can use your regular frying pan with cooking spray)
- Grill chicken according to your grill’s instructions, or if you are using a frying pan cook for 4 minutes on each side. Pour some more lemon juice over them, reduce the heat, cover the pan and let them cook for about 6 minutes more)
- Tear your escarole leaves into pieces using your hands and arrange them in two plates.
- Slice your chicken breast and accommodate the slices atop the escarole leaves
- Slice your avocado, and place half on each plate
- Drizzle with mango dressing, and serve immediately.
Recipe from Health Foodie
150 g Flesh of about one mango
½ cup water
1 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp onion powder
½ tsp basil, dried
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Puree everything, except half the basil, in a blender until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the rest of the basil and mix.
© 2011 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.