Guest Foodie: Jake Van Ness & Tequila Bars
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri for Food Network Magazine
Yield: 16 bars
1 12-ounce box vanilla wafers
1/2 cup pine nuts
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted
1/3 cup tequila
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
5 large egg yolks, plus 2 egg whites
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon sugar
Agave nectar or honey, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Pulse the wafers and pine nuts in a food processor until well ground up.
- Add the butter and blend until evenly mixed.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of crumbs; press the rest evenly into a 9-by-13 baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk together the tequila, lime juice, egg yolks and condensed milk.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the tequila mixture.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust and bake for 25 minutes; cool.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
- Drizzle with agave nectar, if desired.
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.