When my dad was growing up, my grandmother had to make sure the kids got their veggies and proteins, but at the same time she needed to use the leftovers from days before… I don’t know exactly when she came up with the recipe but it’s one that has gone from generation to generation. She would call it the “scraps pie”, by using the left over chicken or meat from the day before (never together though). My favorite from the versions, is definitely this one: with tuna. The “fishy” flavor from the tuna is toned down with both the Bechamel Sauce and the spinach.
Give it a try! This soon will become your left over go-to recipe.
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
Serving Size: 8 servings
10 ounces spinach, clean and drained
1 cup milk
¼ cup unsalted butter
5 ounces tuna
4 teaspoons cornstarch
2 carrots, medium, diced
½ cup green peas
pepper to taste
salt to taste
garlic salt to taste
Single crust Pate Brisee (Pie Dough)
- Preheat the oven at 350ºF.
- Follow the directions to make the Pie crust recipe, and bake for 15 minutes, until light golden color. Make sure you pinch the crust with a fork before baking.
- Mix the cornstarch, milk, butter, salt, pepper and garlic salt on a heated pan and set the stove to medium.
- Add the spinach and tuna, blend it completely.
- Add to the pie crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let it set for about 15 minutes as with any pie, and serve immediately.
© 2011 – 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.