I was able to spend some mother-daughter time recently with my mom, which we hadn’t done in a long time. We just wanted to veg out in comfy clothes with good food and drink and a good movie. We went grocery shopping together to make this pizza dip… Well, so I could make this pizza dip. My dear mother won’t cook to save her life.
It is basically, all the ingredients you would use to make pizza… except for the crust. And to add the creaminess that makes this a dip, or more accurately a spread, you start off with a layer of herbed cream cheese and add the other ingredients by layers, finally melting it all in the oven for a delicious bread topping.
This is a great appetizer if you have friends coming over for movie night, or game night… and it is VERY filling. It easily serves a crowd of 10 people. You can add or leave out any of the ingredients to your own preferences. I prefer to add vegetables and stay away from meats, but you can add pepperoni, ham, prosciutto, or bacon.
To accompany this I sliced a medium baguette, brushed each slice with olive oil and sprinkled salt and pepper on top, to the oven they went until they started to brown, about 6 min.
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup italian tomato sauce
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced or halved
12 black olives, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, dried oregano, and basil.
- Spread cream cheese mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, and sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella and ½ cup of Parmesan on the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with the tomato sauce and mushrooms and sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the sauce.
- Top with bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes and black olives.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and additional dried basil.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
© 2011 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.