It is basically, all the ingredients you would use to make pizza… except for the crust. And to add the creaminess that makes this a dip, or more accurately a spread, you start off with a layer of herbed cream cheese and add the other ingredients by layers, finally melting it all in the oven for a delicious bread topping.
This is a great appetizer if you have friends coming over for movie night, or game night… and it is VERY filling. It easily serves a crowd of 10 people. You can add or leave out any of the ingredients to your own preferences. I prefer to add vegetables and stay away from meats, but you can add pepperoni, ham, prosciutto, or bacon.
To accompany this I sliced a medium baguette, brushed each slice with olive oil and sprinkled salt and pepper on top, to the oven they went until they started to brown, about 6 min.
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon dried basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup italian tomato sauce
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced or halved
12 black olives, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, garlic powder, dried oregano, and basil.
- Spread cream cheese mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, and sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella and ½ cup of Parmesan on the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with the tomato sauce and mushrooms and sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the sauce.
- Top with bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes and black olives.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and additional dried basil.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.