Recipe by Browned Eye Baker
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large Dutch oven (or large, heavy-bottomed saucepan) over medium-high heat until foaming subsides, about 1 minute.
- Add onion and saute until it turns soft and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add cream, milk, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and potatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a light simmer, and cook until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potato slice with some resistance), about 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Transfer potato mixture to a 3-quart gratin dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the cream has thickened and is bubbling around sides and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.