We love pizza, and the one who usually does the magic with it is Jake. I rarely cook pizza because honestly, his pizzas rock. I spotted this recipe over at Annie’s Eats and Tasty Kitchen. Asparagus are in season and this was the perfect Friday Dinner. I used a store pre-baked crust (I’ve been a very busy foodie), but you can make your own!
The flavor from the asparagus is soft after being “shaved”. Shaved… How you ask? With a peeler! Make sure you wash and rinse of the excess water from the asparagus, and with a peeler, start shaving the stem away. Also, cut off the woody stems from the asparagus before shaving. Also, the herb cheese I used was made by Jake’s mom Bev… and the pairing with the veggies was perfect! I barely had to season the pizza, other than with salt and pepper.
Take a leap, give the asparagus pizza a chance! :)
Shaved Asparagus Pizza
Recipe By Annie’s Eats
Serving Size: 8
Olive oil, for brushing
8 ounces asparagus spears
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1 to 1 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
3 ounces spreadable garlic herb cheese,
such as Boursin or Trader’s Point Creamery garden herb fromage blanc
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven at 450˚ F
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round. Lightly brush the surface of the dough with olive oil.
- Cut the tough woody stems off the ends of the asparagus spears. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the spears into ribbons. You likely will not need all of the asparagus, but use more ribbons than you think you need because it will cook down in the oven.
- Place the sliced mozzarella over the pizza dough in an even layer. And place in oven for about 12 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Pile the asparagus shavings over the top of the mozzarella. Dot the surface of the pizza with the garlic herb cheese and the shredded cheese. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly for about 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
© 2011 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.