These cupcakes are so easy, because I made these from… a cake mix! Yes, I know. But sometimes, you need to whip up a speedy treat for a hungry crowd and you don’t want to slave in the kitchen. But these are not ordinary cupcakes from a box, these have mini MilkyWay candy bars baked in the middle.
Just follow the instructions to make cupcakes from your cake mix, then fill your cupcake mold about half way up, pop a mini MilkyWay in the middle, and add about another tablespoonful of cake mix to cover it up. Bake as directed. Top with vanilla frosting (I used Pillsbury).
I browsed around recipes that used candy bars in their baking process, and one recommended that the candy bar should be frozen. So, that’s how I did it. Of course, the candy bar melts anyway, and you get a gooey, caramel, chocolatey chunk of deliciousness at the bottom of your cupcake when you open it up. I tried to capture it with my camera, but… you just have to try them to see!
You can substitute MilkyWays for your favorite candy bar. I’ve been meaning to try a 3 Musketeers variation.
We hope this recipe will be useful for this year’s Halloween!
Milky Way Cupcakes
Yields: 24 cupcakes
1 box Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1 ⅓ cups water
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tub Vanilla Frosting (Pillsbury)
Caramel Syrup (Hershey’s)
24 miniature MilkyWay bars, frozen.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Place paper baking cups on cupcake mold.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, and then medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into prepared cups, filling halfway up.
- Place one mini MilkyWay candy car in the middle of each cup.
- Top with approx. 1 tablespoon of cake mix batter, just to cover the candy bar.
- Bake as directed on the box. In the case of cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, and let cool completely before frosting.
- To frost these cupcakes, I used the 1M tip.
- Drizzle caramel syrup on top, and serve immediately.
© 2011 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.