We were talking with Helga while these muffins where in the oven, and we agreed on one thing: When you go on a diet, sometimes you get tired of eating just salad and chicken, keeping the carbs out. Sometimes all you need is one slice of bread or a cracker… something that will give you the carb fix you need.
Since it’s healthy week, we’ve been looking for something to post under baking goodies for the week. A few nights ago I finally found this recipe. It doesn’t use butter but apple sauce and has whole wheat flour instead of all-pourpose.
I made the recipe the next day and I have to say I was a little skeptical about how they would taste. Have to say that I am impressed. They are not overly sweet, and don’t have strong lemon flavor, so my mom loved them. However, I would replace the lemon juice with orange juice and add some orange zest to it. Maybe a little vanilla. I’ll let you know how turns out next time I make them. So far, this recipe is a good carb fix when you’re in a diet!
Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Recipe By The Happy Housewife
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line up 12 cupcake tin with liners.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Add the egg, milk, apple sauce and lemon juice and mix with a whisk.
- Fill cupcake tins up to 3/4. The muffins don’t grow too much.
- Bake at 375º F for about 16 minutes.
- You can substitute the whole wheat flour for white or use half white/half wheat.
- If using white flour use bread flour for higher rising muffins.
- You can add a tablespoon of orange zest to make the muffins have a fruitier taste.
© 2012 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.