Lemon…butter. Lemon butter! I first peeked at a meyer lemon butter recipe in a recent issue (or maybe not so recent, I don’t know) of Living Magazine. The intention of trying to make it at home stayed in the back of my mind, and I finally tried it out a couple of weeks ago. One word: Heaven.
It is very easy to make, and after it had set I tried it on toast with a little cream cheese. It tasted like I had just smeared lemon meringue pie on my morning toast.
I’m trying strawberry butter next. Chocolate butter? am I going too far? Ok, how about… orange butter! I also want to try some savory butters, like… maybe some sun dried tomato butter, with herbs and spices to spread over freshly baked baguette. I just got very hungry.
Makes 1½ cups
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Aid
2 large lemons, washed & towel dried
lemon rind from 1 lemon
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¾ cup sugar
3 large eggs
- Finely grate lemon rind from lemon and then cut lemons in half. Juice them.
- Place lemon rind, juice from the 2 lemons, butter and sugar into a medium sized, heavy based saucepan. Cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly with a silicon or wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Attach wire whip to stand mixer and place eggs into mixing bowl. Mix on Speed 2 for 10 seconds, or until well combined. Add lemon mixture and increase to Speed 4. Mix for 30 seconds and then return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of spatula/wooden spoon – do not boil or mixture will curdle.
- Pour into sterilized jars if keeping, or serve immediately.
To Sterilize Jars:
- Pour boiling water into and over clean jars and lids and stand for 5 minutes. Carefully tip out water and place jars up side down on a rack to dry (Do not dry with a tea towel).
- Tip 1:To obtain more juice from a lemon, microwave for 20 seconds on medium power – warming the lemon, increases the juice!
- Tip 2:Recipe may be doubled or tripled, if desired.
- Tip 3:Limes may also be used.
© 2012 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.