Seasoned salts are this year’s Foodies’ suggestion as a present, and we start the recipe series off with this Italian Seasoned Salt. This is a very versatile salt: you can use it to season chicken, fish or vegetables in a salad. My favorite: Use it to season a quick creamy sauce to make a quick no-thought pasta for a busy weekday dinner.
Italian Seasoned Salt
Recipe adapted from Eat at Home
Makes 2 jars, ½ pint each
½ cup Kosher salt
4 Tablespoons of dried oregano leaves
4 Tablespoons of dried basil leaves
4 Tablespoons of dried thyme leaves
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven at 200ºF and line cookie baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir all ingredients together and spread across a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it’s completely dried out.
- Take out of the oven and allow for the salt to cool a bit.
- If needed, you can pulse the salt a few times in a food processor.
- Salts keep in an air-tight jar for months!
© 2012 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.