I had forgotten to share this recipe with you. It was sitting in our dashboard, begging to be published… So here it is.
I’m not a huge fan of salads, as you know, so I am always looking for interesting ways to fix up greens so I don’t get bored. I found this salad and thought it was a great way for me to use the butternut squash that had been sitting on my counter for a while. The meatiness of the spiced squash in contrast with the crunchy almonds, and the mix of fresh greens drizzled with the tangy vinaigrette, has made even the most reluctant salad eater (me) enjoy her dish.
Warm Butternut Squash Salad
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn
1 butternut squash, peeled.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Fresh black pepper
1 bag mixed greens, washed and torn
1 cup walnuts or almonds, toasted
1/4 cup apple cider
1/8 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
- Peel the butternut squash, and cut it half. Cut each half into 3 pieces. Cook in boiling water until tender (about 15-20 min).
- Drain and cut into cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the spices and condiments.
- Toss the prepared butternut squash cubes with your mixed greens, add walnuts or almonds.
- Toss with prepared dressing
For the dressing:
- Mix vinegars, salt and pepper.
- Add oil in a slow and steady stream while beating vigorously with a whisk.
- Add to salad.
© 2012 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.