The original recipe for these cookies calls for freeze dried strawberries. Where in the world will I find those?! I wanted to try the combination anyway, so I went ahead with fresh strawberries, knowing that using fresh fruit would probably result in a moister cookie. The verdict is… This cookie is great tasting! The tartness of the strawberries combined with the semi sweet chocolate from the cookies is amazing, BUT when you make them, make sure to eat them right away.
Because we’re using fresh fruit in this recipe, the cookie gets soft after a few hours. So, try them out if you can get your family to eat them in one afternoon! You can use half a recipe so you only get between 18 to 24 cookies.
As a variation, I think using dried fruits would be an interesting idea. The obvious choice would be dried cherries, or cranberries. But how would adding some dried apricots taste? I’ll definitely try it out and report back to you!
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Baking Bites
Yields: 3-4 dozen cookies
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey
2 cups strawberries, diced
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs in one at a time and beat until fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla and honey.
- Gradually blend in dry ingredients, followed by strawberries and chocolate chips (don’t worry about breaking up the strawberries; stir them vigorously!).
- Drop tablespoonfuls (1-inch balls) of dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-11 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown and are set. Bake an extra minute or two for a crisper cookie. (recommended!)
- Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
© 2013 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.