I only make pancakes on the weekends… when else do you have the time?! I always use my trusty homemade pancake recipe which I sometimes vary by adding blueberries, chopped strawberries or bananas. Mariano’s favorite are Banana Pancakes, and it had been a while since I made him some, only this time I added shredded coconut to the mix. Don’t you think bananas and coconut are a perfect combo? I would definitely suggest that you do not skip browning the coconut before adding it to your batter. This intensifies the nutty flavor of the coconut, and makes your kitchen smell great.
I used regular maple honey to go with these, but I bet they would rise to another level if you try our orange maple syrup recipe. Find the recipe below. (The recipe serves 1… it was for me! But you can easily multiply it to serve more people)
Banana Coconut Pancakes
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
Yield: 6 Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small pan, over medium heat, brown the shredded coconut. Keep an eye on it, it browns quickly!
- In one bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract. Add mashed banana and coconut.
- Make a hole in the middle of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients until combined. Do not over mix the batter. It can have some lumps remaining.
- Set the batter aside to rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the frying pan over the medium-high heat and brush it with few drops of oil or butter (you can use paper towel f you decide to use oil).
- When the frying pan is hot, pour about ¼ cup of the batter onto the frying pan.
- Cook pancakes on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip pancakes using the spatula and cook again for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and with desired topping.
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 tablespoon butter
- In a small pan add the syrup, orange juice and orange peel. Bring to a simmer and add the butter, whisking until the butter has incorporated well.
- Let is simmer for a few minutes over low heat.
- Serve over pancakes.
© 2013 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.