I absolutely love Mondays after the Sunday’s Farmers Market. On the second and last Sunday of every month, Saúl Farmers Market opens its doors. The second Sunday, at Miraflores, and the last Sunday at Paseo Cayalá. This is a great event, where merchants from all over gather to offer the best: from handmade goods to produce… you have it all. It just so happens, that with Helga we decided to make a fun day out of it. We got together for breakfast, along with Kiki, Helga’s mom and sister, and then we went to the Farmers Market to get some goodies and paid a visit to my mom, who had a stand there.
We were excited, mostly because we were going to get some fresh blueberries. There’s plenty of production here, but most of them are for exporting to the U.S., and at the Farmers Market, there’s a family that sells great produce: blueberries, raspberries, zucchini and mushrooms. Both Helga and myself got some blueberries, and I also picked up some coconut oil and fresh mozzarella. The next day, when the time to grab some lunch came around, I got the idea for a fresh blueberry salad, so here is a Foodies’ Original – with tons of flavor!
Hope you like it as much as I did!
Chicken, Blueberry & Mozzarella Salad
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
1 small chicken breast
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Pinch of dried Thyme
Pinch of dried Oregano
Sesame Seeds (optional)
½ cup of blueberries
½ cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
Handful of sliced almonds
vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Heat a skillet in medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme, oregano and sesame seeds.
- When the pan is hot, add vegetable oil and cook the chicken, turning once. It takes about 3 minutes per side, depending on the size of your portion.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare a plate with lettuce, cucumbers, blueberries, mozzarella balls cut in half (or if you have it shredded, sprinkle about ¼ cup on top of the salad) and almonds.
- After the chicken is cooked, let it rest for a couple of minutes, then cut crosswise and place on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately, drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
© 2013 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.