All through the year, we’ve been eating salads a lot. I’m always trying to find new ingredients, or new ways to use common ingredients to try to make my salads a little bit more interesting. I saw a photo of a salad, and on the caption it read “warm apple salad”. I didn’t even read the recipe, and I can’t remember where I saw it, probably on Pinterest. But I was inspired to try my own version, putting together a few ingredients. I’ve already made it several times after that. A simple grilled apple and some nuts give so much flavor to mixed greens. I whipped up a vinaigrette with a little mustard and honey, which I think is the perfect pairing for apples and almonds in a salad. This is not only pumpkin season, but apple season as well… so take advantage, you won’t regret it, I promise… and you’ll make it in a flash.
Warm Apple Salad
A The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
1 apple ( I used Pink Lady apples. Gala or Fuji apples will work)
½ cup sliced almonds or mixed nuts
3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
½ cup vegetable or Canola Oil
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat a grilling pan (or regular pan) over medium-high heat
- Cut apples into wedges, leaving out the center.
- Place them on the hot pan, leaving them to cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. Once they brown on each side, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the almonds to the pan, and move them around, just until they release their aroma. About 1-2 minutes. Don’t let them burn!
- Arrange your mixed greens in a bowl, and mix in the almonds and apples. Leave some to arrange on the top, for presentation.
- Drizzle with honey-mustard dressing
For the Honey-Mustard Dressing:
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl, except for the oil. Mix well.
- Add the oil in a slow stream while whisking, so it emulsifies.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix again
© 2013 – 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.