Another fresh start is here, a shiny new year full of possibilities and opportunities! The Holiday season is always hectic, but this last one was especially… let’s call it active, for me. All the fuss is behind me, and for the first time – I think, in my life – I was actually looking forward to January and getting a fresh start. For a lot of us, part of that fresh start might mean getting rid of clutter, cleaning up, and also cleaning up our diet after having all those fattening and sugar loaded (delicious) foods.
While we’re getting back to our normal daily routine, we want simple foods that can be prepared quickly, right? Grilling is always quick, and healthy, so for our first recipe of 2014 I am sharing the one for Tangerine Chicken and Green Vegetables. Using tangerines and sesame oil makes it different and flavorful, I guarantee you will enjoy this!
Tangerine Chicken and Green Vegetables
An original The Foodies’ Kitchen Recipe
2 boneless chicken breasts
½ tablespoon white-wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon tangerine zest
½ teaspoon lime zest
salt to taste
For the greens:
¼ cup olive oil
1 bunch of asparagus
salt and pepper to taste
- Using a microplane, zest 1 of the tangerines until you get 1 tablespoonful. Do the same with the lime
- In a small bowl, juice the 2 tangerines and add the tangerine and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar and mustard.
- In a slow and steady stream, add the sesame oil while whisking. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into two pieces each. Let them marinade for at least 30 minutes. (If you don’t have time to marinade, just let them sit there while you wash the dishes you just used).
- Cut the zucchini into rounds, or strips (whatever you prefer) and season with salt and pepper. Coat with olive oil.
- Cut off the tough bottom ends of your asparagus, season with salt and pepper and also coat with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables first. About 4 minutes per side, or until they get browned.
- Now, grill your chicken pieces, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve it all on a platter, and sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds.
© 2014 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.