I’m finally getting settled into my routine, the beginning of the year was challenging for me in terms of me being able to find the time to do all the things I need to get done everyday (which are a lot), including posting recipes. I missed posting!
But I seem to have it all under control now (I hope!), and I am back with this recipe right in time for Valentine’s Day so you can enjoy a little something sweet for breakfast. I wanted to try a new strawberry pancake recipe, but all I could find were pink colored pancakes. That’s not what I was looking for. I decided to use my regular pancake batter and just add sliced fresh strawberries on top of the pancake, after I had poured the batter on the hot pan. I wondered if I could find an interesting syrup to go along with it? I found just the thing in Marla Meredith’s blog, Family Fresh Cooking (we love her) a Cream Cheese Maple Sauce.
As decoration, just cut out a triangle shape on top of the strawberry to form a heart-like shape, then slice the strawberry in half of into thirds lengthwise. This pancake recipe can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd. Typically, we use this recipe to feed 3 people, including my 5-year-old. Same thing with the syrup. This made just enough to cover my pancake stack, I added extra maple syrup to my pancakes once they were served.
Strawberry Pancakes with Cream Cheese-Maple Syrup
Yields 6 pancakes
A Foodies’ Kitchen original recipe
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 fresh strawberries. (slice about 6 ones,
and leave the others for decoration)
- In one bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Make a hole in the middle of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients until combined. Do not over mix the batter. It can have some lumps remaining.
- Set the batter aside to rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
- Heat the frying pan over the medium-high heat and brush it with few drops of oil or butter (you can use paper towel f you decide to use oil).
- When the frying pan is hot, pour about ¼ cup of the batter onto the frying pan. Add strawberry slices on top (about 5-6 slices for each pancake)
- Cook pancakes on one side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip pancakes using the spatula and cook again for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm and with desired topping.
Cream Cheese Maple Syrup
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh Cooking
2 tablespoons cream cheese
3 tablespoons maple syrup (use pure maple syrup, if you can get it)
1 tablespoon of 2% milk
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and the maple syrup until they are well combined.
- Add milk if the mixture is too thick
- Pour over prepared pancakes and enjoy!
© 2014 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.