With everybody getting back into the city after enjoying a couple of days off during Holy Week, it’s time to get back into the Smoothie habit and enjoy the summer produce. Remember that we went to Saúl Farmers Market? We got our hands on some gorgeous golden dragon fruit. This type of dragon fruit is yellow on the outside, and has white flesh inside. I knew there were two types of dragon fruit, or pitayas as we call them, but turns out there are 3 types of dragon fruit:
- White-fleshed Pitaya with red-skinned fruit with white flesh, and it’s the most commonly known.
- Red-fleshed Pitaya, it has red-skinned fruit with red flesh.
- Yellow Pitaya, the one we show you here, and it has yellow-skinned fruit with white flesh.
To cut it, you do it lengthwise and then with a spoon you can scoop out the flesh. Since dragon fruit is so juicy, you don’t need to add more water or juice to the smoothie, but ice to make it cold. I had my dragoon fruits on the kitchen counter, so they were at room temperature… Ice was needed. I added a pear and the result was perfect! I know you will enjoy it!
Dragon Fruit Smoothie
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original recipe
2 dragon fruits
1 cup of ice
- Cut each dragon fruit in half, lengthwise, and then scoop it out with a spoon. Cube it and place it in a blender.
- Core the pear and cut it in cubes.
- Blend the dragon fruit, and add the pear. Add the ice, blend and serve.
© 2014 – 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.