One of our favorite recipes from Cemaco’s Kitchen and Table Catalog, this salad has a guatemalan touch with the hibiscus infused vinegar. The tartness of the hibiscus pairs perfectly with the Green Salad. Why green, you ask? Well, you have lettuce, green apple and celery. You can even add some green bell peppers if you like.
This salad recipe came together one Sunday afternoon when we had no tomatoes nor carrots for the salad. So we started with the lettuce, then celery for a good crunch, followed by the tartness of the green apples. That’s a good base. To make it better, we added both the grated parmesan cheese and the sliced almonds.
Now, the infused vinegar. We love to have a batch in the fridge at all times, specially during these summer days. This infusion gives this salad a bold and fresh lemon, tart, very berry-full flavor. And adding this to our crunchy salad, makes this combo a winner!
Helga & Kitty
Green Salad with Hibiscus Vinaigrette
A Foodies’ Kitchen Original Recipe
View this recipe at Cemaco’s Blog
Yields: 3 salad servings and 1 cup of vinaigrette
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:
½ cup dried hibiscus flowers
1 cup white wine or Champagne vinegar
Ingredients for the Green Salad:
2 bunch of a variety of lettuce
1 celery stalk
1 green apple
¼ cup parmesan cheese
¼ cup sliced almonds
Directions, for the Vinaigrette:
- In a stainless steel saucepan over low heat, warm the vinegar until hot but not yet simmering; do not let it boil. Remove from the heat.
- Place the dry hibiscus flowers in the bowl. Pour in the hot vinegar. Set aside to cool. After it has cooled, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a day or two (tops)
- After having the vinegar sit in the fridge, have ready hot, sterilized bottle (boiling it in water for 10 minutes) and strain the vinegar through a fine-mesh sieve lined with two coffee filters. Using a funnel, pour the filtered vinegar into the bottle. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for up to 6 months.
Directions, for the Green Salad:
- Cut the celery and apple in small pieces, add them to a big bowl along with the lettuce. Add the parmesan cheese and the almonds, tossing to combine.
- Serve with the Hibiscus infused vinegar.
The following products are sponsored by:
3 bowl multicolor set
3-piece basic kitchen knife set, Tramontina
Green and White cutting board
Set of measuring cups
Vinegar or Olive oil bottle
Placemats (available in different colors), Viva
© 2015, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.