We are constantly browsing videos, blogs and cookbooks for new recipes to try at home with Kristen, together we like to brainstorm on what our next posts on Little Foodies could be, and I like that she chooses what she wants to try out in the kitchen. On a rainy Friday afternoon, we baked this giant chocolate chip cookie baked in our oven-proof pan. The dough is easy to prepare, all you need is a bowl and a wooden spoon, and according to the recipe it bakes for 18-20 minutes. We realized that it will bake in 18-20 minutes if you bake it in a cast iron skillet. If you are using a regular non-stick oven proof pan, like we did, the baking time is around 35 minutes. We were worried for a moment, but our giant chocolate chip cookie came out perfect, and it’s one of the best chocolate chip cookies I have tasted. Really.
After the cookie has baked and cooled for a few minutes, you cut it into wedges with a knife or a pizza cutter. You can serve it with and ice cream scoop on top, or some whipped cream and sprinkles, and it is meant to be eaten with a fork, and there is no need to unmold it. Serve it directly from the pan, and enjoy this giant cookie dessert for family movie night!
Helga & Kitty
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
⅓ cup packed dark-brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugars with a wooden spoon until it is well combined.
- Stir in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in chips.
- Transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; smooth top.
- Bake until cookie is golden brown and just set in the center, 18 to 20 minutes, if cooking in a cast iron skillet. 30-35 min if using a regular oven proof pan. Let cool 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
To download a printable version of this recipe, click the button below!
© 2015 – 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.