Yes. We went there.
Halloween is coming soon, and we have the perfect recipe for your kids to try! This recipe was chosen by our Little Foodie, but instead of using pudding from a box we made our own using semi-sweet chocolate. Making your own chocolate pudding isn’t difficult at all, and it tastes so much better. The dirt as you already guessed is made from crumbled Oreo cookies. You can crumble them with a food processor, which is the easy way, or you can put them inside a resealable bag and give your kids a rolling-pin to pound on the cookies to form dirt. We used the food processor.
Essentially, you mix the Chocolate Dirt Pudding with some whipped cream and cookie crumbs, you add a few gummy worms on top, and finish the last layer with your cookie dirt.
Safety Alert! This recipe requires some stove time for making the pudding, so you have to be with your kid at all times. It’s up to you to decide whether they can use the stove, or if they should just be in charge of the assembly of their cups and let you make the pudding.
Helga & Kitty
Dirt Pudding Cups with Gummy Worms
Ingredients for the Pudding:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream
1 ¼ cups milk
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Procedure, for the Pudding:
- In heavy-bottom medium size saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the cream, milk, and eggs. Whisk until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Set pan over medium heat. Whisk slowly and constantly, making sure to scrape sides of pan, just until pudding begins to boil, 7 to 8 minutes.
- A grown-up should remove saucepan from heat and transfer pudding mixture to a medium bowl.
- Make ice bath: Fill large bowl with ice and a little water. Set bowl of pudding in ice, and stir pudding until it starts to cool, about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic; refrigerate until thick and well chilled, about 40 minutes or overnight.
Ingredients to assemble the
Dirt Pudding Cups with Gummy Worms:
1 15-oz. package chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
8-oz. whipping cream (very cold)
24 gummy worms
8 plastic cups
- The first step is to make the dirt. Place the chocolate sandwich cookies in a large zip-top plastic bag, and use a rolling-pin to crush them into small pieces.
- Continue to crush the cookies in the bag until they are in fine crumbs. You can use a food processor for this step.
- Using your hand mixer, whip 8-oz. of whipping cream until it thickens.
- Grab your previously prepared pudding, and add the whipped cream and approximately half of the cookie crumbs.
- Gently stir everything together until everything is well combined.
- Divide the pudding mixture evenly between eight cups–each should hold a little over ½-cup of pudding.
- Tap the cups on the counter top a few times to level the pudding, then insert 3 gummy worms.
- Pour the cookie crumbs over the pudding and gummy worms so that the entire top is covered with dirt.
To download a printable version of this recipe, click the button below!
© 2015 – 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.