When having a get-together (or as we call them in Guate, convivios), usually you have left-overs the next day. This recipe for Turkey Grilled Sandwich makes it easy to use up your leftover cranberry sauce and turkey (or ham), in one delicious grilled sandwich. By adding a few ingredients: bacon, cheese, onion and lettuce, you get a delicious warm sandwich for the next day.
We got some really useful tools at Almacenes Siman like a grilling pan (perfect for those who don’t have a grill at home), a salt and pepper duo, and a Cuisinart Prep Board to have all the ingredients and hand and make it a breeze to prep the sandwiches. What we loved about it is that you use leftovers from the night before (you could even substitute the turkey with pork or chicken) and get a delicious and different sandwich packed with holiday flavors.
We used a reduced fat mayo, and Muenster cheese, but you can also use Cheddar or even Mozzarella, if that’s what you have at home. Also, we used red instead of yellow onion, as the red onion has a mild and sweet flavor compared to its yellow or white counterpart. You can also use either bread rolls or whole wheat sliced bread (so it holds better compared to all-white bread).
All around, it’s a great combo, perfect to use up your leftovers and have a perfect lunch the day after.
Helga & Kitty
Turkey Grilled Sandwich
Recipe adapted from Oh Sweet Basil
Makes 2 sandwiches
butter for the bread
4 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread or 2 bread rolls cut horizontally in half
¾ pound cooked turkey
½ cup cranberry sauce
¼ cup mayonnaise
6 strips of bacon, cooked and cut in half
sliced red onion
2 slices of Muenster cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill, and spread softened butter into a side of the bread and toast it on the grill pan, making sure to turn it so both sides of the bread are toasted.
- While the bread is toasting, mix mayonnaise and cranberry sauce together in a small bowl.
- Spread cranberry mayo on all 4 pieces of bread.
- Pile slices of turkey onto two slices of bread, season with salt and pepper, and top with lettuce, 3 slices of bacon, cheese and red onion. Place other piece of bread on top, cranberry side down.
- Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2016, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.