In cool days like these, what better for lunch than a warm and filling Pasta & Vegetable Soup! We’re packing a grownup lunch: healthy, full of flavor that will keep you satisfied throughout the afternoon.
The recipe that we’re sharing makes plenty of servings, so you can make it ahead for several portions throughout the week, for as an other option for dinner. The combination of tomato, veggies and pasta is delicious. You can use whole-wheat pasta, or use vegetable pasta like we did. If you want to substitute simple pasta, you can swap it for ravioli or tortellini.
You can pair this soup with a ham and cheese sandwich, and a fresh salad to make this a complete and healthy meal.
At Almacenes Siman we got everything we needed to take our lunch to work: a thermos container that keeps the soup hot throughout the morning, as well as several plastic containers to take the salad and sandwich. We were glad to find so many different containers especially for lunch boxes, every size you can think of, so you can get different combinations and use them throughout the week. We also found a great and spacious lunchbox, big enough to fit the Thermos, the sandwich and the salad containers. We loved its dark colors!
All those containers are thought of, so you can fit them into the different lunch boxes they also have at Siman. We chose a dark-colored and more formal looking for the office. We loved it!
Helga & Kitty
Pasta & Vegetable Soup
Recipe adapted from Eating Well
Yields: 6 servings
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper, optional
4 cups of tomato puree (one 28-oz. can)
1½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1½ cups hot water
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups whole grain pasta, uncooked
2 cups diced zucchini, about 2 medium
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Set the water for your uncooked pasta to cook in. Once it comes to a boil, cook pasta 3 minutes less than the package instructions.
- Add tomato puree, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Add your almost cooked pasta to the pot.
- Add zucchini and return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Serve warm.
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.