Everyday, now that we’re parents, we are more conscious about the snacks we offer to kids. No matter if it’s for the mid-morning school snack or for home. Now, even in birthday parties we notice the healthy snack trend; and we see fruit skewers or veggie sticks with a healthy dip.
For a home-made snack, and one that kids can help prepare, we have these healthy Apple Donuts, that simulate the fried (or baked) goods, but in this case, they are made by apple slices and covered with a flavored cream cheese instead of the sugar glaze. We prepared three “glazes”: One with Nutella, a second mix with Vainilla and a third one with Strawberry Jam. They turned out delicious and its so easy that the younger kids can help out… with the added bonus that they want to try them.
At Almacenes Siman, we found oh so many summer like products, specially some that you can use year-round, like the color striped place mats, ideal for those hot summer days we love for eating outside and be worry free of the spills that can happen with kids around. We also found a great selection of little colored bottles, fitted with a special straw-friendly top. And last, but not least, we found something that we loved for ourselves! A set of 3 white porcelain bowls, with a wooden base that holds them in place where we served the dips. You can find all of these products and more at Almacenes Siman.
Helga & Kitty
Recipe by Hello Wonderful
Makes 2 portions
2 Apples (Gala)
150 g. cream cheese
1 ½ tablespoons Nutella
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon strawberry jam
1 teaspoon honey
Food coloring (optional)
- Cut the apples horizontally into slices. You will get about 4 per apple.
- To make the Nutella Spread: Mix 50 grams of cream cheese with 1 ½ tablespoons of Nutella.
- To make Strawberry Spread: Mix 50 grams of cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam. Add a few drops of red food coloring (optional).
- To make Vanilla Spread: Mix 50 grams of cream cheese with 1 teaspoon honey and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Add a few drops of food coloring (optional).
- Use an apple corer, or a decorating tip to cut out the center of each apple slice.
- Use the cream cheese spreads to cover the slices, and decorate using sprinkles. Enjoy!
To download a printable version of this recipe, click below!
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.