If you think that Golden Milk is one of those trendy drinks, think again. It has numerous benefits, so many I was surprised when learning about them all. They go from better digestion, anti-inflammatory properties, immune system boost and many more… and it’s been around for a long time.
- Better Digestion: Because one of its main ingredients, turmeric, it helps you fight gas, bloating and indigestion. And because it also has ginger, its great fighting nausea and soothes stomach-aches.
- Sore Muscle Relief: Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, so golden milk can relieve joint and muscle pain. Ginger, making another appearance, is also effective on preventing sore muscles before a workout.
- Fights Colds and Flu: Ginger is often used as a cold remedy, since it helps the body from respiratory infections.
On top of al that, this is a dairy-free drink that you can enjoy both hot or cold. To make Golden Milk you need almond milk, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper. Yes, you read right! The black pepper enhances the turmeric effects and the absorption.
Think of it as a, lightly spiced very colorful chai with a touch of honey that adds just the right amount of sweetness, while the ginger and black pepper add a little heat. Give it a try, and let us know what you think!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
Makes 2 cups
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 cinnamon stick, about 3 inches
½ teaspoon dried turmeric
1 piece of unpeeled and thinly sliced ginger, about half-inch
1 tablespoon honey
½ tablespoon coconut oil
¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- In a small saucepan, whisk all the ingredients together turning the heat to medium and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and serve immediately.
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.