We’ve been looking for new uses to appliances or utensils we might already have in our kitchen. For example, we recently shared new ideas to use a French Press, with which you can not only make coffee, but also froth milk for a cappuccino style beverage, and also make a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
This time, we used a waffle iron to give a new twist to two types of kids’ favorite sandwiches: grilled cheese and peanut butter & jelly. To do it, you simply heat the waffle iron according to its instructions, and when it is ready, you place your prepared sandwiches in it, close the lid and in about 3 minutes, you have a golden, crispy, waffled sandwich. The secret to get that golden crust is to use cooking spray on the waffle iron. Don’t fill the sandwiches with too much of the ingredients, to avoid them coming out of the sides and making a mess when you close the lid.
Other delicious options are Nutella and banana, or adding jam to the grilled cheese sandwich. We suggest you offer a piece of fruit and a cold glass of milk to go with your sandwiches for a healthy snack.
We found this waffle iron, ideal for Belgian style waffles at Almacenes Siman, it is also the perfect type of iron to make these waffled sandwiches. We also got these summery glasses, and colorful placemats which are great to use for the kid’s meals at home.
Helga & Kitty
Yields: 2 sandwiches
4 slices of sandwich bread
2 cheese slices (for each sándwich)
- Pre-heat your waffle maker according to its instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sandwich: place the two slices of cheese on top of a slice of bread. Cover with the other slice.
- For the peanut butter sandwich: Spread peanut butter, topped with strawberry jam over one slice of bread. Cover with the other slice.
- Use cooking spray to evenly coat the hot waffle irons, place the prepared sandwiches inside the waffle maker and closet he lid. Wait for about 3 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Using a spatula, carefully remove from the sandwiches from the waffle maker. Slice each one in half, and serve immediately.
To download a printable version of this recipe, click below!
Have you made this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a picture with the hashtag #thefoodieskitchen!
© 2017, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved | The Foodies’ Kitchen.