So, back to topic. Berries are in season, and after browsing for recipes left and right to be able to use the strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries that I had available (I love berries!) I decided to go with a pie. This is a no-hassle worry free pie! The original recipe from the Neely’s has just Strawberries, but I wanted to use all the berries! They make all their recipes look so easy – check their video here – so I knew that it would be great. I also added a tablespoon of Tapioca flour, that way the juices wouldn’t run. If you like the pie to run its juices hold the tapioca flour!
Very Berry Pie
(Mixed Berries Pie)
Recipe adapted from The Neely’s on The Food Network
Serving Size: 8
2 sheets roll-out pie crust
2 tablespoons butter, melted
White sanding sugar, for top of crust
5 cups of mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries), washed and hulled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out 1 sheet of the pie crust and put in a 9-inch pie plate, crimping the edges for a pretty presentation. Roll out the other sheet and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips with a sharp knife or pastry wheel.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients and pour into the crust.
- Arrange the strips over the top of the pie in a lattice pattern, tucking in the edges, or layer the circular shapes on top of the strawberries.
- Brush the top with the melted butter and sprinkle the sanding sugar.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the top is golden brown, another 30 minutes.
- Let it cool before serving with Whipped Cream, if desired.
*Notes: For a fancier crust: use a 1 to 1 1/2-inch circular cookie cutter and cut out circles. You can make pretty designs with a Top cutter like this one that will make designs easy for you.