This recipe just made it into my regular go to recipes for weekly meals. It’s easy, tasty and kids like it. The bonus part is that they are high in protein and healthy, see? we’re keeping our promise to include healthier meals for you at The Foodies’ Kitchen.
You’ll notice that the recipe calls for some oil to cover the chicken patties once they are formed. Don’t skip this! Chicken meat doesn’t have as much fat as other meats, so it can get too dry if you don’t use the oil. Also, broiling them in the oven is the best method to get a moist patty.
As for the yogurt sauce, it is optional… but I do recommend it. It’s so fresh! Try it, you’ll like it. I know I’ll be using this recipe a lot in the coming weeks, the last couple of days have been so hot in Guatemala! When it’s 34 degrees outside you feel like eating lighter, so maybe I’ll finally want to start eating some fruit… Hello Summer!
Chicken Patties with Yogurt Sauce
Recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse
1 pound ground dark-meat chicken
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and cucumbers, for serving
Yogurt sauce (optional, below), for serving
For the Yogurt Sauce
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat broiler, with rack in highest position.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, egg whites, breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, and spices and mix until well blended. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Divide chicken mixture into 8 portions (about 2 1/2 to 3 ounces each) and place on sheet. Shape each into an oval patty and use your hand to flatten slightly. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over patties.
- Broil until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through, about 4 minutes more. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and Yogurt Sauce, if desired,
Procedure for Yogurt Sauce:
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 1 hour, to allow flavors to come together.
- You can serve these patties in pita pockets together with the yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
- As an additional ingredient, you can add about 2 tablespoons of chopped mint leaves to the yogurt sauce.
© 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.