Need a quick dessert, but also want to serve something that looks like you really put some effort into? This is the recipe. I always like to keep a pound of puff pastry in my freezer for whenever the mood for baking something like this strikes. I defrosted my dough, rolled it out onto a not so thin rectangle and put in my strawberry mixture. Fold, bake and that’s it!
I love how galettes have a rustic pie look, you don’t need a pie dish to make them, just transfer your rolled dough to a cookie sheet or a cast iron pan, if you have it. This recipe can be used as a base for you to change and use different fillings. Try it with raspberries maybe sprinkle some slivered almonds on top. Or peaches with cinnamon and sugar sprinkling on top. Apples, blueberries, blackberries, plums… whatever you feel like.
A friend on mine saw a photo of my strawberry galette, but she lives in Colombia and swears she can’t find puff pastry anywhere (Hi, Iveth!). Don’t worry about it, you can make pie dough for this galette as well. Follow the instructions for this easy food processor dough here. (I swear it is very easy, and doesn’t take a lot of time). Just make the dough, flatten it into a disk and cover it with plastic film. Refrigerate for one hour and get ready to make your galette.
Honey Balsamic Strawberry Galette
Recipe adapted from Honey and Jam
Yields: 1 galette
For the crust:
1lb of store bought puff pastry
For the filling:
1 pint fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoon sugar
1 egg, beaten
Ground black pepper
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving.
- Slice strawberries, toss in bowl with balsamic vinegar & honey. Let sit for 1 hour or more, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick. Lay crust flat on cookie sheet or cast iron pan. Strain strawberries, reserving the liquid. (this is your sauce, don’t throw it out!)
- Combine the flour, sugar and cornstarch, and mix with the strawberries.
- Mound strawberries on top of the dough, then fold dough over, overlapping where necessary. Brush dough with egg. Bake until golden brown & bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place remaining balsamic & honey in a small saucepan, adding 2 more tablespoons of balsamic and 3 more tablespoons of honey, boil until thickened.
- Remove galette from oven & top with freshly ground pepper. Serve warm with balsamic honey sauce.