In my everlasting quest to find good fish recipes (not a huge fan, but my husband likes it), I tried this baked fish recipe out and made a few changes by adding tomatillos that I had left from my previous recipe, and I added a little splash of wine because… why not? This method of cooking in foil (or parchment) packets is fast, you save time on cleanup, and I am happy to report that it was delicious! The fish was tender, but flavorful and it gets extra points for being a healthy dish. I’ll definitely try this one again.
I used regular diced tomatoes for this recipe, buy you can certainly use cherry or grape tomatoes, which would make it look nicer. If you can’t find tomatillos, use any other type of tomato, for example yellow ones.
Baked Fish with Tomatoes
and Tomatillos in Foil Packets
Adapted from Self Recipes
1 pound fish fillets, about 1-inch thick
1 quarter white onion, thinly sliced
2 medium tomatoes, diced
8 tomatillos (miltomate), sliced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of wine for each packet
Salt and pepper
Olive oil, to drizzle
2 pats of butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Check the fish over and remove any pin bones. Divide it into two equal portions.
- Lay out two sheets of aluminum foil, each about 12-14 inches long. Lay one fish fillet on each piece of foil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Lay a few slices of onion over the top of each fillet and scatter the tomatoes and tomatillos on and around the fish. Lay two sprigs of thyme over top. Give each packet a dash of white wine and a drizzle of olive oil and place the pat of butter on top. You can leave the butter out, if you prefer to use only olive oil.
- Fold the sides of the foil inwards around the fish. Then fold in the top and bottom of the foil and pinch them closed, creating a neat package. Set them side-by-side on a baking sheet and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until the fish is opaque.
- Open the packets carefully to avoid spilling the juices. Eat straight from the packets or transfer to a plate with a slotted spatula. Spoon some of the juices over top. Eat immediately.