I made this pasta pie a few years ago, for Halloween. This is a perfectly comforting savory dish that can be served as a main course, I highly recommend you pair it with tomato soup. (you can try ours if you feel like make one from scratch). The combination of potatoes, pasta, cheese and bacon is outstanding. Next time, I think I’ll add a few chopped sundried tomatoes to it… or maybe fresh ones, what do you think? Maybe a little basil, too.
I adapted this recipe from Living Magazine, by substituting 1/4 lb prosciutto for 1/2 lb bacon and also substituted 1 crumbled red chile for 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Pasta, Bacon and Potato Pie
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
1 3/4 pounds russet potatoes (3 to 4 medium)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 scallions, white and light-green parts, finely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/2 large bunch (14 ounces) Swiss chard, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3/4 pound penne, cooked according to package instructions
1/2 pound bacon, cut into squares
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
A springform pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook whole potatoes in boiling water until they are tender, about 20 min (check them with a fork). Let cool slightly.
- Peel potatoes; discard skin. Mash with a potato masher.
- Stir potatoes, butter, and scallions in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Press potato mixture evenly into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake until light golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Bring milk and cream to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chile. Whisk in eggs, egg yolks, sour cream, Parmesan, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Add chard; cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir pasta, Parmesan mixture, chard mixture, prosciutto, and oregano in a large bowl. Spread over crust. Bake until golden brown and set, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2011 – 2013, The Foodies' Kitchen. All rights reserved.