I made these last weekend for a hamburger BBQ we threw with our friends. I was a little skeptical on how they would taste, but I am glad to report they were great! It was the perfect ending to our meal.
You can taste the natural fruit flavors, the added tonic water cuts down on the sweetness, but they are still sweet enough, and they are boozy, but not frat party boozy.
I doubled the strawberry recipe part because I needed more than 12, but kept the peach syrup quantities as the recipe details, so I wouldn’t have any leftovers. I made about 20 popsicles with it. Now that I have discovered “poptails”, I can’t wait to try out different types using rum, bourbon and different types of fruit.
I’m sorry I didn’t take a picture of my popsicles! I didn’t think I would make a post out of them, but they were so good I have to share them with you. I am borrowing this photograph from the provider of the recipe at Endless Simmer so you can see what they look like.
Strawberry Peach Vodka Collins Poptails
Recipe by Endless Simmer
Makes 12 2.5 oz Popsicles
6 oz pureed strawberry (about 10 strawberries)
2 oz peach syrup (recipe follows)
12 oz tonic water
2 oz plus 3 oz vodka (divided use)
- Stir strawberry puree with 2 oz. of vodka. Place three teaspoons of strawberry mixture in the bottom of popsicle form. Set aside.
- Stir peach syrup with tonic water stir to combine. Add vodka and stir to combine.
- Pour peach and vodka mixture over strawberry mixture and stir to combine.
- Freeze for about 2 hours or until mixture starts to solidify enough to hold a popsicle stick upright. Insert popsicle sticks and finish freezing popsicles overnight. To release popsicles run hot water on the outside of popsicle molds for a 2-3 seconds.
(You will have more syrup than you need. Save for other cocktail uses)
½ cup sliced peaches (about 4 medium size peaches)
1 cup water
1 cups sugar
- Wash, peel, and pit peaches. Place peaches in a blender or food processor and process until peaches are pureed.
- Place water, sugar and peach puree in a pot and bring to a boil and continue to boil for 5 minutes.